Utilizing independent judgment, the Director of Events is primarily responsible for overseeing all aspects of post-booking stage service delivery methods. Directs, manages, supervises and coordinates the activities and operations of Event Services functions assuring the highest quality service program to assure rebooking of events. Provides highly responsible staff assistance to the General Manager.
- Oversee event management activities for all facility events
- Oversees the Manager on Duty program for all FT eligible employees
- Direct, coordinate and oversee the activities of employees engaged in providing event coordination, telecommunications, technical support, audio-visual services, food & beverage, event security, guest services, fire regulation compliance, exhibitor services, box office, parking and overall client satisfaction during events
- Lead and support in efforts to recruit, interview, select, train, motivate and evaluate Event Staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures
- Exercise direct supervision over Event Staff
- Prepare departmental annual budget; recommend capital improvements; control and monitor departmental expenditures; assist in preparation of estimated revenues for facility budget
- Consult with exhibit managers, promoters, facility representatives, and others concerning physical set-up needs and requirements for licensed areas; prepare work orders and cost-estimates accordingly
- Inspect facilities to ensure they are being maintained properly for events
- Develop crowd management and event staffing plans and supervise event staff during events
- Ensure accuracy in computing of costs for post-event billing of services and equipment rental charges
- Review and approve final billing to facility users prior to settlement or release of invoice
- Work closely with the general public by monitoring services provided and addressing complaints in a timely manner
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless high quality customer service
- Conduct planning and operational meetings as required to ensure smooth coordination of event activities
- Track, record and report labor allocations in all areas of functional responsibility for purposes of forecasting, benchmarking and budgeting
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities of all event related programs and activities
- Prepare and present regular staff reports and other related correspondence
- Support Assistant General Manager and General Manager as requested with booking analysis and offer packet creation
- Work with other department directors in a variety of tasks
- Conduct a variety of industry operational studies; recommend modifications to service delivery methods and operational policies and procedures as appropriate
- Interpret and apply all relevant federal, state and local regulations
- Serve as Event Manager as needed
- Routinely serve as Manager on Duty
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Thorough understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices.
- High level of proficiency with computers, Microsoft applications, accounting/payroll/HRIS systems. Experience with Solomon, ADP and/or Ceridian a plus. Extensive experience preparing spreadsheets and reports.
- Consistent and reliable attention to detail, accuracy and validity.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, changing, environment. Must work well under pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to interact with a diverse spectrum of individuals calmly, professionally, supportively.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to delegate tasks efficiently and develop staff to next level.
- Ability to adhere to highest standards of ethics, integrity, professionalism, and discretion. Ability to execute solid management decisions quickly and efficiently.
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours (i.e. evenings, weekends, holidays), as frequently required by event or business necessity.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with company and business contacts.
- Minimum of three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in Event Management for an arena, stadium, convention center or other multi-purpose facility required
- 4-year degree from college or university preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Ability to work flexible and sometimes demanding schedules (including nights, weekends, holidays and extended hours)
- Experience with CAD software preferred
- Able to communicate clearly in the English language both orally and in writing using proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Intellectual/Social, Physical Demands And Work Environment
The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is continuously asked to multi-task under time limits. Position requires constant attention to precise details and accuracy of specified standards including: following simple to complex (more than 3 steps) instructions, and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time. This position also requires constant use of interpersonal skills including: ability to direct/motivate/inform staff and foster collaboration, being able to recognize and resolve conflicts, being able to openly communicate in writing and verbally with clients.
- While performing the essential functions of the job, the employee constantly operates a computer and other office devices such telephones, copy machines, fax machines, etc.; occasionally moves about inside the office to access storage areas, cabinets and office machinery; occasionally moves about the arena and event sites before, during and after events to service clients and staff; constantly communicates via telephone, email and in-person with others to exchange accurate information.
- The duties of this position are performed indoors and occasionally outdoors in the weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environments is usually moderate to loud during events and minimal during non-event times.
SPECTRA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit careers-comcastspectacor.icims.com.