The mission of the California Science Center is to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone by creating fun, memorable experiences, because we value science as an indispensable tool for understanding our world, accessibility and inclusiveness, and enriching people’s lives.
The California Science Center is one of the world’s leading science centers devoted to science learning. It is among the most attended museums in North America, with over 2.5 million guests each year for the past two years and is the permanent home of the Space Shuttle Endeavour. The California Science Center is currently developing a major expansion, the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. The California Science Center holds prestigious accreditations by the American Alliance of Museums and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The California Science Center is a department of the State of California (State) and who works in partnership with the not-for-profit California Science Center Foundation (Foundation) to bring our mission to life. Visit us on the web to learn more: californiasciencecenter.org.
The Events Coordinator is responsible for planning and executing internal and external (third party) events for the California Science Center Foundation (“Foundation”).
- Responsible for planning, coordinating and executing logistics for external (third party) and internal events.
- Coordinate and supervise event production with an emphasis on technical and logistical aspects of event planning including floorplan development, and detailed timelines.
- Conducts site inspections and Provides skilled client relations to ensure a successful event outcome.
- Interfaces with assigned clients and vendors to provide excellent customer service throughout the event planning process.
- Interfaces with Event Manager to ensure a seamless transition from the Event Rental Agreement contracting process through the event’s execution.
- Interfaces with Events Production team who is responsible for the physical set-up of in-house equipment for all events.
- Creates and distributes Event Logistics Summaries, event timelines (including diagrams), and work orders for assigned events.
- Responsible for overseeing staff and volunteers assigned to events.
- Works effectively with preferred caterers and other vendors.
- Acts as a liaison between clients and all operating departments of the Science Center and protects the Science Center’s property and assets during events.
- Assists in planning and coordinating, executing Foundation’s high profile internal events such as the Discovery Ball and Annual California State Science Fair.
- Assists Event Services Team with coordinating, executing, and supervising larger-scale events.
- Coordinate social media content creation including image curation, copywriting, link-building, and scheduling for Instagram.
- Coordinate and participate in weekly interdepartmental meetings.
- Responsible for event Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
- Responsible for updating event rolodex in Filemaker Pro.
- Responsible for tracking and updating catering and beverage commissions and accounts receivable.
- Assist Director, Event Production with administrative duties required.
- BA in Event Management, Hospitality, Communications, or related field of study
- Two (2) years of professional experience in an internship and/or job required in the events space
- Highly professional, flexible, meticulously organized, detailed, customer services oriented, self-starter who is a proven team player with a positive attitude
- Strong time management and organizational skills required as well as the ability to multitask in a work environment where priorities can change quickly
- Ability to adapt to challenges and opportunities with a solution-oriented perspective
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Word with knowledge of Excel, Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook based calendar, and ability to learn Financial Edge, Filemaker Pro and Social Tables (diagramming program)
- Weekends, holidays, evening, very late and early morning hours required
- Ability to stand, walk, and lift up 25 pounds
$17.00 to $18.00 an hour. California Science Center Foundation employees receive excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage; retirement package; free science center membership, group term life insurance, and 11 paid holidays.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Target and Job Application to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. Only applications that include a cover letter, resume, salary target and completed job application will be considered. No phone calls please. EOE.
To apply for this job please visit www.idealist.org.