General Statement of Duties: This position is responsible for the marketing, promotion and support of year-round events and space rentals of the Fairgrounds facilities. This position provides general support to he Fairgrounds and Event Center Director and the Montrose County Fair Board for the annual Montrose County Fair and Rodeo.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the Fairgrounds and Event Center Director and establishes methods and procedures for attainting specific goals
Supervision Exercised: This position offers general guidance as assigned.
Essential Functions: Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all duties which may be found in positions of this class.
- Promotes and markets year-round use of the fairgrounds and event center to event coordinators and promoters and appropriate groups via solicitation, advertising, attendance at various public meetings and conferences and other types of outreach.
- Plans, coordinates, schedules and promotes a variety of cultural, educational, recreational and civic shows, exhibitions and conventions from conception through implementation.
- Using guidelines established by the Fairgrounds and Event Center Director, negotiates and administers contracts for use of Fairgrounds and Event Center facilities. Prepares invoices and accepts payment for facility use/rent with show promoters, organizational leaders, business owners, and the general public. Keeps updated and accurate files for each event.
- Develops and implements marketing and advertising plans including, but not limited to, print and content, proofs and placement; website and Facebook content, radio announcements; and press releases. Promotes good public relations in the community.
- Coordinates and implements all phases of the planning, preparation, promotion and production of non-Fair and Rodeo events and functions at the Fairgrounds and Event Center facilities directly with event promoters/facility users. Ensures accurate collection of all event information for each event scheduled at the Fairgrounds which includes providing assistance and guidance for room layout, staging, audio visual equipment, etc.
- Researches and recommends potential in-house promoted events. Coordinates such events including, but not limited to, promotion, logistics, contracts, and payments.
- Maintains event calendars and collects event information to promote upcoming events. Updates website and social media pages to communicate correct and timely information, in conjunction with the County’s Media Relations Manager.
- Provides onsite assistance to events during setup, event and teardown times.
- Acts as a liaison between event promoters and Fairgrounds staff. Communicating layouts, schedules, changes and potential hazards
- Responds to or coordinates the resolution of inquiries, complaints, problems or emergencies affecting logistics, marketing, promotion, staffing, etc.
- Manages alcoholic beverage sales including coordinating with event promoters and facility users to have the requested product available, scheduling bartenders, updating POS system, and recording sales.
- Works with local authorities to assure codes and guidelines are being met by event organizers.
- Creates profit and loss statements for each event by accurately tracking labor and equipment hours, utility usage, miscellaneous expenses and revenues.
- Maintains a sponsorship program to attract, retain and recognize annual Fairgrounds & Event Center sponsors. Creates and maintains a sponsorship program for in-house promoted events (may include the Fair) that compliments the Fairgrounds & Event Center annual program while providing additional benefits to sponsors.
- Performs administrative duties including answering phones, responding to correspondences, processing payroll, and submitting invoices for payment, all in a timely manner.
- Works in conjunction with the Fair Board throughout the year to plan, prepare and assist in the implementation of the County Fair.
- Requires odd hours, weekends and evenings. Regular and predictable attendance is required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Event Planning or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. CFE (Certified Facility Executive) or CMP (Certified Meeting Professional) certification preferred.
Experience: Three (3) years’ experience in events coordination or marketing, preferably with County/State fairs or 4-H.
Required Knowledge: Knowledge of web communication, publishing, usability and social media. Excellent communication skills including writing, proofreading and speaking. Marketing and promoting events.
Language Skills: Must have the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and the skill to organize materials and present information clearly and concisely in verbal and written form. Must understand and follow verbal and written instructions. Must have proficient knowledge of the English language, proper grammar, punctuation and spelling in other oral and written communication and have the ability to write routine reports and correspondences. Must be able to read, comprehend and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies and standard operating procedures required for this position, as well as, basic how-to documents and manuals.
Interpersonal Skills: Must possess the ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with fellow employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations and members of the community. Have strong customer service orientation and work collaboratively within a team environment. Interact professionally and diplomatically with County employees, other agencies and organizations, and members of the community and manage difficult or emotional customer situations. Must have the skill to organize work flow and accomplish established objectives. Possess the ability to recognize when confidentiality is required and maintain strict confidentiality. Must maintain appropriate professional boundaries in relationships with customer/clients and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Must have the ability to work with moderate to complex mathematical concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in all units of measure, using whole numbers, fractions, percentages, decimals, proportions rates and ratios. Must be able to analyze technical data and apply it to practical situations. Must have knowledge of basic financial transactions such as calculating interest, debit and credits.
Reasoning Skills: Must be able to apply principles of logic and reasoning or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems and work independently with minimal direction. Must be able to prioritize work and simultaneously manage multiple responsibilities at times under pressure of tight deadlines and emotional situations. Must have the skill to solve problems involving concrete and abstract variables in a variety of situations within established guidelines.
Office Technology/Computer Skills: Must be able to effectively use modern office technology and equipment, including computers, calculators, telephone, copiers with scanning and faxing capabilities. Must be proficient in word processing, database manipulation, spread sheets, email, and the knowledge to save and retrieve documents from a variety of destinations and sources with a high degree of accuracy. Must be able to learn the software and programs related to the position Must be proficient in the use Microsoft Office, scheduling software and social media applications.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and stand for long periods of time; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; and reach with hands or arms. The employee is required to stand, walk, climb or balance, twist, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Must be able to respond to the customers’ needs and perform tasks requiring extensive hand and eye coordination. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and other devices and objects. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to smell to distinguish between normal odors or controlled substances. Physical ability and mobility to drive a motor vehicle to and from field and meetings. Ability to navigate uneven terrain. Ability to work extended shifts and attend training and meetings outside of regularly scheduled hours and the ability to work in stressful deadline-driven situations.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job operates in a fairground and event center environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Ability to tolerate and be productive in a moderate to loud noise level in the work place. Employee will have periodic exposure to hazards in the field such as driving and inclement weather and potential hostile clientele. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; risk of electrical shock; and vibrations. Hazards include exposure to animals, animal waste and a wide variety of machinery associated with fairgrounds and event set up and tear down.
Special Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record. Able to work evenings, weekends, and extended hours on an as needed basis.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this job please visit andrewhudsonsjobslist.com.