Event Entrepreneurship: Business Foundations (previously called The Launching Pad: Staring Your Own Event Company) is designed for event & meeting professionals who are considering launching their own events business, or for those with an existing business looking to develop fundamental business skills. Facilitated by entrepreneur, Michael Granek, MBA, CSEP and with course videos featuring industry leader and the Event Leadership Institute’s Founder, Howard Givner, this course is ideal for professionals looking for an efficient and comprehensive introduction to key business fundamentals.
During the beginning stages of starting a company, a strong business acumen is crucial for success. Event Entrepreneurship: Business Foundations will walk you through key competencies that are required for getting a business off the ground, from creating an initial strategy and actionable goals, to drafting budgets and obtaining financing. The curriculum will then familiarize you with marketing strategies, effective pricing methods, how to obtain your first clients, and much more.
Upon completion of the course, you’ll have an understanding of the business tools and skillset needed to build a strong foundation for your business. Please note, this course focuses on business fundamentals only, and does NOT teach event planning or management.
- Draft a business plan that focuses on identifying your business niche, target markets & customers, product & service offerings, pricing strategy, and competitive positioning, as well as setting goals that you’d like to achieve.
- Understand fundamental sales skills including prospecting for new clients, evaluating & responding to RFP’s, designing proposals and delivering compelling presentations.
- Consider marketing, advertising and public relations options.
- Evaluate the basic financial performance of your business by reviewing profit & loss statements, balance sheets, budgets, and other key financial documents.
Scroll down to see more details including the weekly outline.
Start Date: Ongoing | Start Now!
Length: 6 Weeks Online
Instructor: Howard Givner
Course Cost: $595 USD
ELI Members Price: $476 USD*
Not yet an ELI member? Sign up today for only $25/month to gain access to over 180 on-demand video courses, interviews & more, plus save 20% on this and other multi-week professional development courses! CLICK HERE to learn more and sign up!
* Click “Register Now” to check availability and deadlines. Cannot be combined with any other offers.
With over 20 years of industry experience, Howard Givner is a widely recognized expert and innovator in the field of events, business growth strategy, technology and education. Howard is the Founder and Executive Director of the Event Leadership Institute (which launched in April 2011), provider of best-in-class training and education for the events industry, through online, on-demand video classes, interviews with industry leaders, white papers, webinars and live events.
He is the founder of Paint The Town Red, Inc., and the former CEO of North America for Global Events Group, the 13th largest event agency in the world, which acquired Paint The Town Red in 2008. During his tenure the company won over 30 industry awards. Howard is a Past President of the ILEA (International Live Events Association) NY Metro Chapter; has served on the board of directors of MPI (Meeting Professionals International) Greater NY Chapter as VP of Education; is a member of the BizBash NY Advisory Board; has served on the Advisory Board of Special Events Magazine; been a judge of the Gala Awards & HSMAI’s Adrian Awards. He is a frequent speaker at industry conferences on a wide range of topics. He has been profiled in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNBC, National Public Radio, ABC News, The Apprentice, and USA Today, in addition to numerous trade media.
Howard is a consultant to companies in the hospitality, meetings and event industry, specializing in strategic planning, sales growth, management, and mergers & acquisitions, and selectively consults with business owners on a limited number of engagements.
- Why So Many Small Businesses Fail, & How to Avoid It
- Interviews with Owners of Event Companies on What They’d Do Differently
- Understanding the Functional Needs of Your Business, & Who Will Fill Them
- Outlining Your Long Term Goals, & How You’ll Get There
- Finding Your Niche: Identifying Target Client & Event Types
- Finding Your Niche: Identifying Types of Services (design, execution, etc.)
- Branding Your Compay: Pros & Cons of Using Your Own Name
- Branding Your Company: Finding What Makes You Unique
- Reading A Balance Sheet
- Reading A Profit & Loss Statement
- Sales Forecasting & Cash Flow
- Managing Accounts Receivable
- Managing Accounts Payable
- Identifying the Right Pricing Model (Flat Fees, Markups, % of Budget, etc.) for Your Business
- Calculating How Much You Should Charge/Make
- How to Deal with Commissions
- Identifying Which Types of Clients Are Likely to be Time-Sucks
- Understanding the Sales Funnel
- Tips For Making Sure You Prospect
- Networking Tips
- Honing Your Elevator Pitch
- Where & How to Find New Leads
- Client Mapping
- Keys to A Successful Website
- Key Principles for Using Social Media
- Getting Press/Publicity
- Advertising: When It Works & When It Doesn’t
- Client Discovery / Handling Inquiries
- Evaluting RFPs. Determining When to Bid
- Honing Your Value Proposition
- Tips for Successful Pitch Meetings
- Tips for Successful Proposals
- How to Handle Requests for “Day-Of” Work
- Contracts & Payment Structuring
- How to Avoid “Scope Creep”
- 5 Keys to Preventing Upset Clients
- Planning A Post-Event Debrief Designed to Win Rebooking
- Proving Value Beyond Your Vendors: How to Avoid Clients Hiring Your Vendors Directly
- Contracts, Insurance Requirements & Indemnification Clauses
- Payment Terms & Commissions
How does the course work?
Participants will log into our private Learning Management System, where each week approximately 2 hours of new lesson content will be released. Lesson content will usually be in video format, broken into digestible chapters of approximately 5-10 minutes each, and may be supplemented with PDFs or links to external articles. The lessons may be viewed at any time once they are released, and you can complete the lesson videos at your own pace. Short quizzes and assignments may be given to help reinforce learning outcomes.
What if I’m busy one week and can’t get to the material?
At the end of this 6 week online course, we provide participants an additional four weeks to catch up if they were unavailable for any portion of the course (hey, we know planners are busy).
When/how can I contact the instructor during the course?
The instructor’s teaching assistant will be available to answer questions and provide feedback at set times each week. Outside of those hours, the instructor will make every effort to respond to emails within two business days. (Keep in mind our instructors are subject matter experts who are actively working on events.)
Tell me about your learning guarantee?
The Event Leadership Institute stands behind all of its content. If you feel you didn’t learn what you expected to in this course, just let us know within 30 days of the final lesson and we’ll give you a full refund.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch, or create an account